Q&A FOR WORKSHOPS
Q1) I am a complete beginner in calligraphy, which workshop should I join?
First decide which type of calligraphy you would like to learn:
- DIP PEN: a metal pointed nib will be used during the workshop. We will dip the nib into ink in order to write, when the ink runs out, we will dip the nib into ink again.
- BRUSH PEN: a soft pointed brush (similar to a watercolour brush) will be used during the workshop. We will dip the brush into ink in order to write, when the ink runs out, we will dip the brush into ink again.
- The tools between DIP PEN and BRUSH PEN are different. For the DIP PEN, we will use a stiffer nib at the workshop, which requires a bit stronger pressure when writing; while for the BRUSH PEN, we will use a softer, more flexible brush pen to write which requires a lighter touch.
- DIP PEN usually results in smaller size writing, while BRUSH PEN writes larger in sizes. Please visit the photo links below for comparison:
- DIP PEN Workshop - photos here
- BRUSH PEN Workshop - photos here
- PAINTING: if you wish to learn to paint, we also offer painting workshops too!
Q2) What is INTRO level and what is BEGINNER level?
- INTRO LEVEL: Our 1.5 hour INTRO (i.e. Calligraphy Tasting Workshop) is suitable for people who are curious to try their hands on dip pen calligraphy but could not find time to learn! Each workshop is 1.5 hours and you will be introduced to the basic techniques and fundamental skills of dip pen calligraphy. You will learn to write practical phases such as “Hello", "Goodbye", "Happy Birthday”, “Congratulations” etc! After the workshop, you will have a general idea of how to write with dip pen calligraphy.
- BEGINNER LEVEL: Our 3 hours BEGINNER workshops will have more in depth information than the INTRO workshop, it is suitable for complete beginners or calligraphers of any levels who will like to learn calligraphy from the basic or to refresh their skills. After the workshop, you will gain knowledge on the tools and a stronger understanding of writing with dip pen calligraphy. Each workshop is 3 hours and it is divided into two parts:
- PART 1 - Basic Techniques (2 hours) includes understanding of the tools - Kalo will go through each tool so you will learn the function, how to purchase and clean up after use. After this, Kalo will demonstrate the writing techniques, follow by your personal practice (30 to 40 minutes).
- PART 2 - Creative Application (1 hour) includes learning how to apply calligraphy skills creatively. Each workshop is themed and this PART 2 is different in every workshop depends on the theme you choose. For example, in our "Gold Ink Greetings" workshop, you will learn to mix different types of gold inks to create your greeting card designs. Please read the description for each workshop for full details.
Q3) What is IMPROVER level?
- IMPROVER LEVEL is suitable for students who started calligraphy recently (with basic knowledge including how to set up the tools and create thick/thin lines) OR those who have been writing for quite sometime but are not able to see improvement.
- The goal of the workshops is to help students to IMPROVE their dip pen skills and REFINE their scripts through technical trainings, quality practices and studying from the historical scripts.
- Kalo is a classically trained calligrapher, she received the Certificate of Proficiency for the Engrosser’s Script from the IAMPETH in 2020. Her teaching for all her workshops are based mainly on Engrosser’s Script (also known as the Round Hand or Copperplate). Her step by step approach helps students to build a stronger and solid foundation over a period of time.
Q4) Can I sign up for multiple BEGINNER dip pen workshops?
- As mentioned in Q2, the teaching content of PART 1: Basic Techniques is the SAME throughout ALL BEGINNER dip pen workshops, this part will take 2 hours.
- To maximize your learning, we recommend you to join our IMPROVER workshop(s) instead of signing up for multiple BEGINNER workshops, as we will not be covering the basics in our IMPROVER workshops, so you can learn something new!
- However, if you wish to refresh your basic techniques and skills, you are welcome to sign up multiple BEGINNER dip pen workshops too!
Q5) How many calligraphy starter kits will I received if I sign up for multiple BEGINNER dip pen workshops?
- You will receive one set of calligraphy starter kit at each workshop.
Q6) I have joined your BEGINNER workshop and I am still new to calligraphy, are your IMPROVER workshops suitable for me?
- Don't worry! You do NOT need to be skilled in calligraphy to participate as our IMPROVER workshops are catered to improve your calligraphy skills and help you achieve better calligraphy results.
Q7) What is the criteria to sign up for your JAMMING + PEN MEET events?
- You are welcome to sign up for our calligraphy event(s) but please ensure you have taken at least one of our workshops prior to the event(s).
- These events are tailored to encourage past students to stay with the calligraphy community and therefore, events are charged at a very low fee.
- Participants who fail this criteria will not be accepted for the registration and the enrollment fee will be non-refundable.
Q8) Is it possible to sign up together with my friend(s)?
- Yes, you can simply click "add to cart" for the workshop you select, then go to your "cart" to enter the final quantity you require for the workshop. The system will automatically update the Total Cost. Once the payment is received, we will email you separately in a few days to enquire for the other participants’ details (i.e. their names and email addresses). We will send you and your friends a reminder email closer to the workshop date and the practice sheet PDF after the workshop.
Q9) Do you offer gift voucher for the workshop?
- Yes, we offer DIGITAL gift vouchers which you print out as gifts. The voucher is valid for 6 months from the date of purchase. Please email us at email@example.com for full details.
Q10) Will there be any discount if I want to sign up for multiple workshops?
- Our calligraphy studio is tailored for a cosy learning environment and is unique than other calligraphy workshops in Hong Kong. We also work very hard to constantly update our teaching materials to ensure all students are learning from the best.
- Therefore, we do not provide discounts for multiple registrations, however we do provide "TWO-GATHER" offer for participants who sign up with a friend!
Q11) I cannot attend due to last minute arrangement, can I swap to another workshop or request for a refund?
- ALL sales are final, workshop fee is non-refundable.
Cancellation for BEGINNER + IMPROVER workshops:
If you cannot attend the workshop you signed up for and would like to swap to another workshop date, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 5 days in advance. You are able to swap to another workshop one time only within three months from the date of your purchase.
However, participants who fail to provide 5 days advance notice will not be able to swap to another workshop.
For BEGINNER workshop (not IMPROVER), you are also welcome to transfer your seat to a friend. To do this, you must give 3 days prior written notice via email to email@example.com including the name, email and contact number of the person you are transferring to
Q12) I would like to purchase your calligraphy starter kit (dip pen) without attending the calligraphy workshop, is this possible?
- Yes, you can purchase the calligraphy starter kit (dip pen) directly from our website or from our Hong Kong Central Studio, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange the collection detail.
- Alternatively, you can purchase our calligraphy starter kit at LOG ON City Super and/or at The Eslite Spectrum Bookstore in Hong Kong. The retail price for our calligraphy starter kit is HKD350.
- We also offer purchase from overseas, please email us at email@example.com for full details.
Q13) I would like to purchase your calligraphy supplies, how should I proceed?
- We stock a range of calligraphy supplies - from greeting cards, stationery, pens, nibs to a large range of calligraphy inks.
- If you’re based in Hong Kong, you can shop directly from our website. For international customers, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the shipment quote.
- If you would like to shop at our Hong Kong Central studio, please email us at email@example.com to arrange a date and time.
- Our studio visit is by appointment only. By arranging an appointment with us, we can ensure our availability to help you during your visit.
Q14) We would like to feature your calligraphy workshops for our media channel (magazine, website, blog, television), what should we do?
- We are thrilled to know you are interested to feature our KALO MAKE ART calligraphy workshops! Please simply send us your request via the "CONTACT" form on the sidebar link OR email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will email you back shortly with further information.
Q15) I have other questions about your calligraphy workshops, but I cannot see the answers above. What should I do?
- Please simply send us your question(s) via the "CONTACT" form on the sidebar link OR email us at email@example.com. We will email you back shortly with answers.